Go Back   Teaviews Forums > Types of Tea > White Tea
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2009, 10:16 PM

Without a doubt my favorite type of white tea is Shou Mei. It's a very dark white tea, made mostly out of large, mature leaves, and has a character that I have often heard described as "oolong-like". It often has an aroma of caramel and wet leaves, and some of them can have light, vegetal aromas (yet without the grassy quality of green tea or some other white teas), and it often has a honey-like sweetness only available in much more expensive teas.

It's sad...it's not considered a high grade of tea, so many (snobbish?) retailers don't even stock it, and many tea connoisseurs treat it like it doesn't exist. For example, the Harney and Sons Guide to Tea, which is pretty comprehensive about covering most of the different mainstream varieties of tea, doesn't even mention it.

In case anyone hasn't tried it though, especially for those who like oolongs and richer/darker teas, I would recommend trying it. My favorite is Upton Tea's (Organic) Shou Mei Classic, but I like every Shou Mei I've ever tried.

Last edited by AlexZorach : 12-22-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:28 AM
Teaviews Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexZorach View Post
Without a doubt my favorite type of white tea is
In case anyone hasn't tried it though, especially for those who like oolongs and richer/darker teas, I would recommend trying it. My favorite is Upton Tea's (Organic) Shou Mei Classic, but I like every Shou Mei I've ever tried.
I will have to try it as I love both white and oolong teas. Thanks for the recommendation!

Shay
Old 11-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Teaviews Staff

Send a message via AIM to Troy Send a message via Yahoo to Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaistenolee View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am going to discuss some benefits for white Tea.

White tea and cancer
White tea has only recently been found to be effective against cancer cells. It has the ability to inhibit cancer cells and prevent formation of new ones. While research is still being done preliminary studies have shown amazing effects of white tea.

White tea and skin care
White tea is an extremely effective drink for radiant and problem free skin. It is an effective skin medicine due to its unique properties not found in any other tea.
Thats not really a discussion, your just sorta parroting what everyone says about Tea, claims which change from study to study.

Actually there is no clear consensus in the Medical Community of the affects of tea. While many of the compounds found in tea have been shown to fight cancer etc., usually the amounts they tested are not what you'll actually find in a cup of tea. The only thing that can be said with certainty is that tea is generally good for you, contains small contributing doses of many useful vitamins and anti-oxidents, and doesn't contain anything bad for you.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:21 PM

My favorite tea is white tea white Silver Cloud in a local shop is one of the darkest style white tea that oxidizes a little before or during the drying process. This is one of the most fragrant teas nautrally I was comparing well with dancongs for perfume . It has a lovely peachy fruit aromas, lychee with a sort of leafyness which makes me think a walk in the woods on a cold day.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:32 PM

Send a message via MSN to Richard Zhang Send a message via Yahoo to Richard Zhang Send a message via Skype™ to Richard Zhang
Smile

My favorite tea is Silver Needle White Tea.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:53 PM

Default Butter tea from the Himalaya

The well known butter tea from the Himalaya region is quite well known in the western world as well. Has anybody of you ever tasted butter tea. Its taste must be very strange for Americans as well as for Europeans. So if you already made experience with butter tea let me know!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:38 AM

Hi. Just joined. I love white tea. I'm looking for a non-floral white tea - a true white tea flavor...any suggestions for something not too expensive for daily use? Thank you!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Hi. Just joined. I love white tea. I'm looking for a non-floral white tea - a true white tea flavor...any suggestions for something not too expensive for daily use? Thank you!

White tea is also one of my favorite type of tea, such as White Peony tea(also known as Bai Mu Dan), and White Silver Needle tea. They are all high quality white tea. The have a subtle, slightly flowery, sweet as well as lingering taste. The biggest difference between the two white teas are: white peony is made of tea buds with one or two leaves, but for the silver needle, it is completely made by tea buds.

So if you want to a tea for daily drink, I suggest you can choose White Peony tea, this tea is cheaper than Silver Needle. It is an un-floral tea, because when brewing this tea, its shape like the white peony flower, so this tea has the name.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:57 PM

I love this white tea!
Old 04-16-2012, 06:30 AM

One of my favorites is Bai Hao Yin Zhen.
Many customers on ChineseTeaArt also like this tea.