Old 12-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Teaviews Staff

Default How to make matcha?

I've heard so many different ideas on the proper matcha-to-water ratio: As little as 1/4 teaspoon for a full cup and as much as 1 teaspoon per ounce. I trust you guys more than the Internet, so I thought I should get your opinions. What's the best matcha to water ratio?

I finally got me some matcha that should be arriving any day now, so I thought I'd best research how to make it the best. The one I got is probably a pretty low-grade one - thought I should make sure I like it before springing for the good stuff.

Oh, and is there any good way to froth it other than with a matcha whisk, or should I just spring for one?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Katie : 12-19-2008 at 01:08 AM. Reason: To change it to a question mark.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:09 AM
Teaviews Staff

I got my matcha today in the mail! Yay! So, um... I seriously need your opinions. My tea deserves the best treatment, but I don't know what that is.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:43 AM
Teaviews Staff

Send a message via AIM to Geoff Send a message via MSN to Geoff Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff

The best instructions for Matcha I could find are this:

Matcha powdered green tea is not steeped but whisked with hot water and drunken immediately. It is traditionally used in the Japanese Tea Ceremony, Chanoyu, but can also be prepared simply at home for a refreshing, healthful beverage.

While your water is heating, soak the bristles of your bamboo tea whisk (chasen) in water to moisten them and prevent them from any breakage. Place a teaspoon or two of Matcha in the bottom of a previously warmed bowl (chawan) or wide, shallow cup. Add 6 to 8 ounces of hot water (temperature can be adjusted to your preference, but generally 150 to 170 F). Quickly whisk the tea to a froth using your chasen. Drink immediately, enjoying the rich fragrance of the tea with each sip.

If you do not have a bamboo tea whisk, the beverage can be prepared by shaking the Matcha in a lidded vessel and then pouring into a bowl. (Metal whisks and other utensils do not mix the tea thoroughly enough or create enough froth to give the beverage smoothness).

But you probably already saw something similar. I've found a styrofoam coffee cup, a spork, and a stirring straw to work just well enough to get a minimally tolerable effect. But I'm easy.

Added insight might be provided by looking at some of the matcha reviews on this here site. There's a kid on here - forgot his name - that's ALL about matcha.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Teaviews Staff

Thanks, Geoff. I think you're thinking of Trent, since his review was very thorough and even included household substitutes for the traditional matcha-making materials.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:42 AM
Teaviews Staff

Default Matcha to water ratio

I've found the only way to truly enjoy Matcha is to make cookies out of it.

Sorry, can't stand the stuff.

-Kirk
(Kari's Husband - she likes the vile crap.)
Old 12-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Teaviews Staff

Default Rishi Matcha Sale

Katie,

Rishi has been having one-day web sales. I happened to check their site today as I am stalking them waiting for one of a few items to go on promo and happened to notice they have some Matcha items on sale today (12/21).

I have had an opportunity to taste a number of items from Rishi now and consider them to be a quality company that I would not hesitate in purchasing from.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:26 AM

I was too looking for the procedure to prepare it. And one reply here have actually had its procedure. And that really helped me. Thanks for that procedure and this thread too.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:13 AM

I like it very much and I really want to learn, how to make it. Basically as I know we can use anything related the tea in any level as I wanted. If you will take 1/4 tea spoon or full spoon that depends on you because taste choice is yours.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:17 PM

Default Newbie

Hi, I have been drinking green tea for a couple of years because of it's touted health benefits. I recently discovered(and ordered) Matcha, a bowl, whhisk and spoon. I am waiting for it to arrive. Dr Oz says is it 8 to 10 times more potent than other forms of green tea. I ordered an expensive high quality hand picked blend from a place in Japan. I figure that since most thugs I had read suggested about 5 to 8 cups of regular green tea a day, that this would be perfect for me, I can drink one cup a day. I would like to learn more about this stuff, good places to buy it and any other suggestions. I sweeten my tea with Stevia which I like. I sure wish I could afford a trip to Japan to explore their culture, what little I know has been fascinating.

Greg
Old 04-24-2012, 02:24 AM

10028 psychoanalyst

i love green tea early in the morning