Go Back   Teaviews Forums > Types of Tea > Oolong Tea
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Teaviews Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
Big Red Robe is a favorite of mine. I can vouch that the one from CA Tea House is excellent and is one one that I tried from Seven Cups awhile back.
Haven't heard of seven cups, though I recognize the allusion. I'll check them out!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Teaviews Staff

Lately, I've been noticing how many of the Big Red Robe teas have such a strongly roasted flavor, it takes a few steeps just to get to the tea flavor, past what tastes to me like charcoal. I suppose I like the lightly or moderately roasted over the highly roasted BRR, because it seems more like "naked" tea than tea that's been processed into something different from its normal state. Does anyone else have that experience?
Old 01-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Teaviews Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
Lately, I've been noticing how many of the Big Red Robe teas have such a strongly roasted flavor, it takes a few steeps just to get to the tea flavor, past what tastes to me like charcoal. I suppose I like the lightly or moderately roasted over the highly roasted BRR, because it seems more like "naked" tea than tea that's been processed into something different from its normal state. Does anyone else have that experience?
I can't speak to BRRs yet, but I've had that experience with Tie Guan Yins. I'm very partial to Norbu's Diamond Grade TGY which the owner says is less oxidized, but he's received some criticism from other tea sellers, that they are too "green." Everyone to their own taste, I guess.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:24 PM
Teaviews Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I'm very partial to Norbu's Diamond Grade TGY which the owner says is less oxidized, but he's received some criticism from other tea sellers, that they are too "green."
One of the best oolongs I have ever had. I definitely veer towards the light or non-roasted oolongs rather than the med-heavy. Each to his own and all, but until that one I'd never really felt like I was drinking butter, and it was fantastic.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:19 AM
Teaviews Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
I have come across a heavier roasted Big Red Robe here and there. I felt that California Tea House's version was just about perfect.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:29 AM
Teaviews Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
One of the best oolongs I have ever had. I definitely veer towards the light or non-roasted oolongs rather than the med-heavy. Each to his own and all, but until that one I'd never really felt like I was drinking butter, and it was fantastic.
For butter, you should try a sample size of ATR's milk oolong. As outrageously expensive as it seems, I've been drinking the same few spoonfuls of leaves, gong fu, for two days now and it's still making good, buttery tea. I've lost track of how many cups but perhaps more than a dozen. I've never had one tea last this long, although Norbu's come close. My kids went nuts for it when they were home at Christmas, and we drained the 3 litre water heater drinking one pot. I may have to break down and order a small packet of it, come payday.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:31 AM
Teaviews Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
I have come across a heavier roasted Big Red Robe here and there. I felt that California Tea House's version was just about perfect.
That's on my shopping list. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2010, 02:43 AM

[quote=Lynn;4939]For butter, you should try a sample size of ATR's milk oolong.

I just love to hear that. BTW: Our new shipment of Oolongs -- which has our new Red Robe -- is stuck in customs in SFO. As for Milk Oolong we are on our last batch. And then I am told we might be able to get some in May. I am trying to source some others but from what I have previewed they just are not as good, so what would be the point? On a brighter note we are expanding our food service and now have the most amazing petit fours. They go well with the crack infused cookies that Laura is addicted to.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:42 AM
Teaviews Staff

[quote=American Tea Room;4941]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
For butter, you should try a sample size of ATR's milk oolong.

I just love to hear that. BTW: Our new shipment of Oolongs -- which has our new Red Robe -- is stuck in customs in SFO. As for Milk Oolong we are on our last batch. And then I am told we might be able to get some in May. I am trying to source some others but from what I have previewed they just are not as good, so what would be the point?
Just like when Starbucks (briefly) carried a decent Kona. I just get hooked and it's gone! But I guess any good tea's ephemeral nature is one of the things that makes it so special.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Teaviews Staff

I found this on Twitter from California Tea House....

This weekend only, use the Twitter followers exclusive coupon for an extra 15% off! Code: CATwitter

Might be a good time to pick up some Big Red Robe...