Go Back   Teaviews Forums > Types of Tea > Herbal Tea
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2010, 01:56 AM

Default Best tea for indigestion?

Newbie question: What's the best tea for indigestion or upset stomach? Thanks. Type AND Brand would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:56 AM
Teaviews Staff

Oo, this is a toughie. Personally, I avoid real tea when my insides are upset. They only seem to compound the issue. I also avoid rooibos and jasmine because, for whatever reason, they also make me feel worse and often gives me heartburn. I stick to the most herbaly herbals I can find.

But if I'm really, really hankering for a cup of real tea, I go for a white because of their smoothness and lighter flavour. They're usually pretty easy on the belly. Any white is fine, but if you want some favourites: California Tea House Silver Needle (though I haven't met a Silver Needle I didn't like), Drink the Leaf White Peony, Narien Drum Mtn. White Cloud, Double Koi Tea Company Organic Pomegranate Blend White Tea, Revolution Tea White Pear. And lately I've been on a Tazo Berryblossom White kick. After a huge meal I just down a cup of that, and I feel much less like a gluttonous cow that's about to explode.

As for medically-justified teas that will help with an upset stomach, I can't help you there. I think stomachs vary from person to person, so you may just have to experiment for yourself to find the perfect indigestion tea. Best of luck!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Teaviews Staff

I am not sure about brands available but there are several herbs that can help digestive woes. Ginger helps with nausea and an upset stomach and fennel, licorice root, peppermint, chamomile and lavender can all aid indigestion or gas. Most stores have peppermint or chamomile teas available and I think there may even be a Tetley fennel tea out now called Soothe. I am sure any one of the herbs alone would be fine if you couldn't find a combination of a few of them. But you could also make your own home brew remedy using ginger root and/or fennel seeds or whatever herbs are available to you by simmering them on the stove in a saucepan for about 10 minutes and then steeping for as long as is convenient. I'd guess using 1- 2 tsps of seeds per cup, a 1/2 inch piece of ginger and 1 tablespoon herbs e.g. peppermint. Mugicha or roasted barley tea can also be helpful for indigestion after eating protein or fat rich foods if you can find it. I hope that helps a little to make your tummy happier. Cheers,
Raven
Old 03-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Teaviews Staff

Send a message via AIM to Geoff Send a message via MSN to Geoff Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff

As covered above, the best for indigestion would be a combination of fennel and chamomile. Be careful of peppermint and ginger. In too high a dose, those can aggravate indigestion.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Teaviews Staff

I actually find that blends with mint and ginger aid in digestion and nausea. I guess it depends on the issue with your tummy. Oolong and puerh in general are supposed to aid in digestion.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:08 AM
Teaviews Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
As covered above, the best for indigestion would be a combination of fennel and chamomile. Be careful of peppermint and ginger. In too high a dose, those can aggravate indigestion.
I am surprised. I know that ginger has been used for years for nausea and indigestion.

Shay
Old 03-04-2010, 01:12 AM

Default Thanks, everyone...

Actually, I tried some Tazo Orange Blossom tea I had and it made me feel better...but it had chamomile and fennel in it...so I was lucky.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:00 AM
Teaviews Staff

Send a message via AIM to Geoff Send a message via MSN to Geoff Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff

@Shaiha @Laura - I'm only speaking from personal experience. I did a regimen of peppermint and ginger for a couple of months when I had tummy trouble. One cup was fine, but after that, *major* heartburn set in.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Teaviews Staff

Geoff,

I am wondering if you have been checked for an esophogeal hernia? No need to respond, but that could be the source of some of that heartburn..
Old 03-05-2010, 02:17 AM
Teaviews Staff

Send a message via AIM to Nicole

My suggestion is a little out of left field for most people but catnip tea is my favorite tummy soother. It is related to mint and so has the same affects while also being a tiny bit sedative like chamomile. I manage a pet store so I've actually tested out several different brands. The best as far as taste has been Yeoowww! brand catnip. It's organic and really good quality.