Go Back   Teaviews Forums > Types of Tea > Herbal Tea
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2010, 11:26 AM

Default What herbal tea is good for insomnia or light sleeping?

I wouldn't call myself an imsoniac but I'm a light sleeper and have a sleep disorder.

Are there any kinds of herbal tea or herbs that will lead me to heavy sleep?

Last edited by happysmith : 12-17-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Teaviews Staff

I find that I get the best results with a tinsune that has a blend of catnip and mint. But in this as in everything results will vary with the person.

Shay
Old 12-06-2010, 07:42 PM

Catnip and mint sounds good; I like both of those herbs. They are both easy to grow in humid, temperate climates too.

Some herbal teas contain Valerian, which is a powerful sedative, and from my experience, can lead to a long, deep sleep. I avoid using such sedatives on a long-term basis, however. I think they are best used in special cases, such as when you really need to sleep on one particular night, and are having trouble sleeping.

For long-term use, I think any caffeine-free herbal tea helps, but I find that ones that have a relaxing effect are particularly helpful. I like these better than sedatives because they tend to just relax you, without making you sleepy. I like to think of this as making space for you to sleep naturally, rather than forcing you to sleep. I find chamomile tea to be mildly relaxing; for a stronger effect, I like tulsi leaf tea, also called holy basil. I actually prefer the flavor of tulsi, myself.

Last edited by AlexZorach : 12-22-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:46 AM
Teaviews Staff

Send a message via AIM to Geoff Send a message via MSN to Geoff Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff

I've had good success with valerian root mixed with lemon verbena. Tasty and sleep-inducing. That and green honeybush with chamomile.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:38 PM

Working out or doing something active always helps me sleep.

I like the Celestial Teas, Sleepytime for when I'm trying to relax or take it easy.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:11 AM

At 8:00pm today I tried some tea containing Gingko leaf, Gotu Kola leaf, Peppermint, Red Clover, Rosemary, Ginger root and a pinch of Stevia.

At 8:30pm I tried a different tea containing Lemon Balm, Skullcap, Hibiscus flowers, Hops flowers, Valerian root, Passionflower herb, and Lavender flowers.

shortly after drinking the second tea I started to feel unnaturally relaxed(which now learning that valerian root is a sedative and also that gotu kola increases the effects of valerian root this makes sense) My body felt like it was falling asleep while I was still awake and it felt uncomfortable so I had to get up and walk around. After that I decided to lay down and fell asleep rather quickly. I woke up around 12:00am feeling like I had slept for 8 hours or more. I was surprised to look at my alarm clock and see 12:00. It's been 4 hours since I woke up and I feel wide awake yet not fully rested. Although I was only asleep for about 3 hours I felt like it was a deep sleep and felt longer than it actually was. I don't think I'll be drinking that tea again, even though it helped me get to sleep it didn't feel natural. I usually don't have much trouble sleeping, I just wanted something relaxing... which this ended up being a little more relaxing than I wanted.

Last edited by Dave O : 01-08-2011 at 09:25 AM.