Review: JING Tea Okayti Estate Darjeeling Tresor Black Tea

Black Tea, Darjeeling Tea, JING Tea Add comments
Dan’s Teaview Snapshot
Thumbs up!"Overall, this Darjeeling holds not too many surprises, but it is of excellent quality. The sweetness from the second steeping has won me over, and I could see myself resorting almost exclusively to this tea for my Darjeeling needs."
Dan’s Teaview: 8/10
Other Teaviews: Joe gave it 10/10, Shaiha gave it 7/10
Your Reviews:Add your review »
jingokaytiThe Okayti Estate in Darjeeling, dating back over 200 years, sits literally next to Nepal, separated from it by merely a wire fence. The estate is world-renowned, and they produce tea for many companies. A 37-acre section was dedicated to Mighty Leaf alone (the production from which will begin in the next 1-2 years). It's hard to tell just how many different types of tea are produced there -- they definitely separate at least 3 flushes of Darjeeling, in addition to gelds, whites, greens and more. I'm unsure of the significance of "Tresor" in this tea's name, but it seems to be exclusive to Jing Tea.

The Darjeeling Tresor Black Tea on offer here has a dried leaf blend that on first appearance contains quite a mixture: occasional medium-length full leaves, tightly rolled; a majority of smaller, broken pieces; and a color blend of 75% brown leaves (from mahogany to a redwood color) and 25% beautiful yellow gold buds that appear extremely tippy. Aroma-wise, there is a very earthy/woody scent to this tea, with hints of maple syrup and cedar on the nose.

I began my brew with sub-boiling water at around the 3-minute mark. During the steep, the leaves unfurl perfectly, revealing their true shapes and sizes, in addition to a surprise dash of green hues, some stems, and other hidden tidbits. The liquor brews up a standard black tea shade. The taste from this first cup is premium Darjeeling flavor all the way. Very smooth, no significant bitterness or astringency, though wisps of a hint of each can be detected. As such, temperature and steeping time must be watched closely. For the second infusion, I tried water about 5-10 degrees cooler, and the same 3-minute mark. Flavors in the second cup are just as bold, and significantly more sweet - a slightly superior cup to the first. A third cup, kept at around 190-200 degrees with a 3 minute infusion, presents a weaker, more watery cup, with much subtler flavors. A long-after aftertaste leaves the mouth with a dry oak feeling.

Overall, this Darjeeling holds not too many surprises, but it is of excellent quality. The sweetness from the second steeping has won me over, and I could see myself resorting almost exclusively to this tea for my Darjeeling needs.

— To purchase JING Tea Okayti Estate Darjeeling Tresor Black Tea, or for more specific information on ingredients or the story behind this particular tea, click here to go directly to the manufacturer's web site.

Teaviews Member: Dan Dan
Teaviews.com Reviewer
» Read more about this reviewer on Dan's profile page.
» Find a list of recent posts by Dan.

    



Leave a Reply

My Rating

WP Theme & Icons by N.Design Studio
Entries RSS Comments RSS Log in