Review: Suffuse Red Rooibos Tea Sceletium Tortuosum Infusion

Herbal Tea, Rooibos Tea, Suffuse Tea Add comments
Vanessa’s Teaview Snapshot
Its OK"This tea is one which I wouldn’t necessarily recommend based upon its flavor, which is bland and forgettable, but I would recommend this to anyone looking to experiment with exotic and unconventional ingredients. "
Vanessa’s Teaview: 6/10
Other Teaviews: Dan gave it 7.5/10, Laura gave it 7.25/10
Your Reviews:Add your review »
suffusescetortteaSuffuse is a company that specializes in red rooibos blends, some of which are more conventional than others. Today, I sampled their Red Rooibos Tea Sceletium Tortuosum Infusion. Of course I have to admit total ignorance about Sceletium Tortuosum, but luckily the Suffuse website provides some good information about this ingredient, including the following little tidbit of knowledge: “This mood-enhancing plant is Africa's oldest natural anti-depressant and relaxant, first producing euphoria and alertness which gently fades into relaxation”. Hmmm, it sounded a little bit odd to me, but really, who am I to judge? On with the brew…

The tea came packaged in a teabag which I used for the infusion, but then opened up to examine the contents after steeping. I tended to think that rooibos was fairly standard across the board, but as it turns out, the contents in the teabag were not as whole/intact as I would have liked and indeed were comparable to the tea dust and fannings of lower-qualityblack tea bags. Most of the rooibos particles were quite small and clumpy rather than being long individual strands. According to the Suffuse website, rooibos leaf makes up 93% of this blend. I did see an occasional tan-colored speck of something other than rooibos, which I imagine must have been pieces of the Sceletium Tortuosum which make up the remaining 7% of the blend. Flavorwise, this tea is certainly drinkable, but really not memorable. This tea offers a standard rooibos flavor profile, although the nuttiness was not as bold as other, perhaps higher quality, rooibos blends I have sampled. If I really tried, I could detect a teensy bit of a medicinal flavor; perhaps this was the contribution of the Sceletium Tortuosum. I can’t say that I personally experienced any elevated euphoria or alertness as a result of drinking this tea, but I will say that shortly after consuming this tea, I did settle into one of the heaviest slumbers I have had in a long time. This tea is one which I wouldn’t necessarily recommend based upon its flavor, which is bland and forgettable, but I would recommend this to anyone looking to experiment with exotic and unconventional ingredients or to anyone looking for a good bedtime brew.

— To purchase Suffuse Red Rooibos Tea Sceletium Tortuosum Infusion, or for more specific information on ingredients or the story behind this particular tea, click here to go directly to the manufacturer's web site.

Teaviews Member: Vanessa Vanessa
Teaviews.com Reviewer
» Read more about this reviewer on Vanessa's profile page.
» Find a list of recent posts by Vanessa.

    



Leave a Reply

My Rating

WP Theme & Icons by N.Design Studio
Entries RSS Comments RSS Log in