Go Back   Teaviews Forums > Types of Tea > Oolong Tea
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Teaviews Staff

Send a message via AIM to Nicole

My favorite thus far has been Golden Moon's Sugar Caramel Oolong. I call it creme brulee in a cup
Old 09-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Teaviews Staff

So far mine is Dragon Eye Oolong from Revolution Tea, which is smoky Chinese oolong with safflower, peach and apricots. I also enjoy the Orange Blossom Oolong from The Necessiteas drizzled with a little agave nectar.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Teaviews Staff

Ti Kuan Yin Oolong from Specialties remains my favorite.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Teaviews Staff

Muscat Oolong from Lupicia and Milk Oolong from Vital T leaf
Old 11-12-2008, 03:32 AM
Teaviews Staff

Default favorite oolongs?

Hello!

If anyone is still following this thread, I am new to the forum and thought I would try some oolongs as part of my first batch of teas to review. I'm unfamiliar with oolongs completely and read through these posts a bit to get a feel for what people were trying out.

I'd be interested in reading some basic thoughts about oolong teas (brewing tips, flavors, etc) from people, to augment what I'm going to start reading about on the side...maybe via wikipedia? Any new ones anyone has tried that really grabbed your attention??

Best Wishes,

Jamie
Old 11-12-2008, 04:21 AM
Teaviews Staff

Jamie,

I have really started to get into oolong lately. I would suggest playing around with the different types from lightly oxidized (greener oolongs) to more highly oxidized (darker) oolongs. I have found that I prefer the greener oolongs that are buttery, honey, fruity or more floral in nature. Oolongs are very complex and sometimes require a little patience in order to taste the full complexity. The delicate flavors often unfold with more prevalence in subsequent infusions. If you steep carefully, oolongs can easily be infused 3-4 times before the leaves are exhausted.

A tip that I would offer you would be to use less leaves than you normally would. Most often, a teaspoon of oolong leaves is more than what you really need for a cup. Also, be careful with your water temperature, many oolongs need to be steeped more like green tea and boiling water will essentially burn them. For some reason, I prefer my oolongs with a bit of honey or agave rather than sugar. I look forward to hearing about your oolong journey and welcome.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Teaviews Staff

Thanks for the tips, Laura. I noticed in another post that you like the agave nectar. I once made a pecan pie with agave nectar, it sounds like it might be time to try some again with tea! I appreciate the notes on the oolong too, especially regarding water temps, etc. I think it's going to be interesting to try this tea.

:-) jamie
Old 11-16-2008, 01:34 AM
Teaviews Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Muscat Oolong from Lupicia and Milk Oolong from Vital T leaf
I will have to second you on both of those selections. I also have fallen in love with Forever Spring from SerendipiTea. I also love Golden Moon's Coconut Pouchong and The NecessiTeas Pomegranite Oolong is pretty nice. Teavana's Sweet Oolong Revolution and Six Summits are other favorites.

Last edited by Laura : 11-19-2008 at 04:32 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Teaviews Staff

I just finished sampling Summit Tea's Jin Xuan Golden Lily and have to say that it was wonderful. Has that nice creamy, butter taste to it that it not easy to find. It is a new favorite of mine.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Teaviews Staff

Send a message via AIM to Geoff Send a message via MSN to Geoff Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff

I've gotta hand it to Zhi Tea.

They make a darn good Wuyi oolong.

And I did NOT want to jump on the Wuyi bandwagon.